Tuesday 17 September 2013

TRIBUTE: Letter to Tayo Omidiji, from a broken heart

       
If you are reading this and you don’t know Tayo Omidiji, let me introduce him to you. A vibrant, handsome, sexy, wonderful young man. He was full of life, and to those who know him, don’t be surprised I was very close to this young man. I met Tayo in 2004 in Covenant University, even though I had been seeing him around before then.
We finally got talking and I was so happy that I finally got to talk to this handsome baby. We got so close that we started sharing dreams, ideas, stuff together. There was this day I did not feel like eating from that horrible cafeteria in school; you went out of your way to get me food from town; you went out of your way not minding if you got caught ‘cos you didn’t get an exeat to leave school and I scolded you as to why you had to take that risk, but you said you would do it over again to make me happy. He went out of his way to please me always. He called me every night even though phones were not allowed in school. I would be at the payphone center waiting for his call. I never told anyone we were that close.
He told me about ICON (a magazine he was going to come up with, which was going to be handled by him and his friends), the magazine came out, worked with him for like 2yrs, was doing a PR job for him. (I still have copies of the 1st edition at home). He graduated before me in 2006 but we were practically still in touch. I would go all the way, from Sango to Festac, to see this baby of mine, but distance started creeping in. We tried to keep in touch but it wasn’t working. I finished school, went for youth service, though we still tried to keep in touch . Then BOOM!!!!!! We had this very annoying fight; we stayed away from each other.
Tayo tried calling, he tried everything so we could finish this fight but I shunned him. Six years and I didn’t talk to my friend, I didn’t look for him. I was too stubborn to bring myself to look for him. Pride would not allow me ‘cos I felt I will definitely see him soon. But see me, I was wrong! I saw Tayo’s picture on people’s DPs saying RIP to my baby, my friend. I thought I was dreaming. I started calling, pinging, sending SMS’s and every answer I was getting was Tayo was no more. And it dawned on me.‘Was that it’? ‘I would not see Tayo again?’ And everything kept rushing back. I said, ‘don’t call me again, we are done being friends‘. Can I take it back? Can Tayo just wake up and tell me Toun I forgive you? Can my friend just come back one last time? I just want to hug him. I just want to tell him I forgive him. I just want to hold him.
Who can tell Tayo that for me? I really can’t pinpoint why you had to die but I am so sorry that we did not see before you left me. Wish I could turn back the hands of time; wish we were still close friends; wish we still shared our thoughts; wish you could tell me what you were going through; wish you would not have taken that step, probably I would have been able to talk you through your heart ache.
Baby, your boo is SORRY. She is terribly aching. I LOVE YOU Tayo Omidiji.
PS: Tayo died on the 11th of September, 2013 to unknown circumstances which are better left unsaid.
Rest in peace my darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment