Tuesday 1 October 2013

Independence Celebration- A Slap On Us!!! By Seun Dawodu.

                               


I remember the book 'Everything men know about women' by Cindy Cashman. I remember my very first thought about the idea of a book filled with blank pages going on sales. And I remember that it was a huge succeess with women buying it in droves to give to male friends, co-workers and family members. LOL!


Well that was a super idea for a book, I admit. Putting all you energies into writing a blank book and then smiling to the bank? Geez, I pray for money like that.

Or maybe I should pray for money like the Nigerian politicians; they know nothing about being visionaries and leadership is not a virtue they exhibit, yet they not only smile to the bank, they are laughing silly to the bank at the expense of the Nigerian people. Such audacious actions, and indifference to the plight of the people in the face of massive suffering, leaves me lost for words. I just can't imagine how they are able to sleep every night knowing they are the reason quite a sizable portion of the One Hundred and Sixty million plus Nigerians, who are co-owners of the resources of their land, barely survive on less than four hundred dollars a day. May the gods make their lives as easy as they make it for us.

I know some would think I am being un-nice and pessimistic, my response to that is 'it is your opinion'.

Because Nigerians are quick to forget, and maybe we never learn enough from the mistakes of the past, it is just a matter of time before they begin to waste our monies again to bring themselves back to government to continue the looting of the nations already depleted resources. And the funny thing is we are 'naive', and would believe the lies they pour into our ears and somehow become their evangelists and turn out sometime in 2015 to cast our votes for them. And then we come back to complaining... Mschwwwww!!!

I know some will want to wish others 'happy independence' because today some years back the union jack was lowered and the Nigerian flag raised, but first of all ask yourself 'are we truly free or am I speaking by faith?'

Anyways, I am glad to be alive and yes it is a new month, and a great one in the making I dare say. And I wish all Nigerians, grace to bear in the absence of strength to fight for freedom!

Happy Independence! *crossed fingers*

Oluwaseun is a media Consultant, photographer, script writer, youth worker, counsellor and social commentator. He loves to travel and meet people. He blogs at sheyhunsays.wordpress.com

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing worth celebrating about this country.. The leaders are f**ked up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Independence Day : celebration of freedom. We are not free, let's go back in time. We tot we deserved our freedom cos we tot we were been cheated by who we tot wer little gods. Des so called freedom fighters wer fighting for themselves n regions. Not for Nigeria as a whole. So sad. Must I speak ur language until u help me or associate with me. Why all these confusion about different tongues? Anyways we are the new Nigeria, and I urge us to fight as one not like what the ones before us did. Let's be our brother's keeper. God bless Nigeria! Moving on! Forget bot the past so it won't rob us of our bright future . Today think of what impact you want to create, work towards it and celebrate your victory ! Hmm! Leaders if tomorrow #sweet!

    ReplyDelete