Saturday 5 October 2013

B​etween Boxers and Briefs – What’s Good for My Sausage? By Seun Dawodu



Okay so I sound vulgar, right? Well, wrong! And in any case I am talking about mine. *tongue out*. Just so you know, the headline is not my creation; I read it somewhere online and it took me straight away to my early days.


I remember once, when my mom, with my Aunty aiding and abetting the act, buying some goofy-looking pants; well I really can’t call them briefs for in my own estimation there really wasn’t much to cover hence the misuse of the word “briefs” in this case. Anyways they came back from the market this fateful day bearing the ‘goodies’. I didn’t need much persuasion to want to know what was in the bags they brought in - I was really inquisitive, nosy if u want to be mean – and I wanted to see what was there and what was mine. And so I got the shock of my growing years – a set of coloured pants with a goofy-like cartoon-like character right there in the front! I nearly cried. How was I supposed to live that up? Swore I would never wear it. It was so (wait a minute let me get the right word) LOUD! Yikes! That wasn’t just me. Calling attention to my very-meant-to-be-private region? Smh

Well it was a lot of hard work because I eventually had to start wearing it. But I had to also begin to do calculations such that i don’t wear it on the days of sports when you had to change from the school uniform to the sports wear. It wasn’t like I was a sports person, naa, but mention a young child who didn’t relish abandoning book-work for ‘jumping’ around work.

Thank God she got the message, I mean my mom, because she ceased from such labourious things that caused me pain – like those PANTS! We subsequently had white pants, like we used to wear till she was pricked by the experimenting bug.

And then the happiest day of my sausage life was when she came home, I was in senior secondary school, bearing boxer shorts. It was like I had never seen anything like it. It was – check this out - simply amazing! Okay, only the guys would catch the drift. For a while after that I still vacilatted between the briefs, note that at this stage I had grown a little for the name pant to transform into briefs, and the boxers. By the time I was writing my final high school exams, I was a lover of the boxers. First were the boxers with the Y shape in the front and later the ones with just enough opening to quickly take a leak. I loved them both.

I have seen some arguments against the boxers, and shockingly I have seen some guys proudly donning their pants at youth camp. Well maybe the boxers doesn’t always have it right? Maybe you can’t run wearing one as an underwear without doing some measure of damage to your ‘popsicles’? Maybe like it is believed it is only for ‘not clean’ people because they wear it far longer than it is absolutely healthy to do?

In any case these negatives are just too weak to punch a hole in that whole love-affair between myself and the ‘boxers’. Was it YSL or Nike that sprung it on us? I don’t know and really I don’t care. Whoever though, this is my ‘thank you’ for giving freedom to the ‘little man’. *grining*

No comments:

Post a Comment